Today’s hedge fund users need access to data and applications wherever they are. Follow these five remote working security tips to ensure they don’t pose a security risk when they’re working outside of the corporate network.
Hedge funds, once so hesitant to take on new technology and introduce potential risk, have become enthusiastic adopters of the latest disruptive innovations. In such a competitive sector, the incremental benefits that transformative technology brings can make all the difference, and this has been recognised by hedge fund boards throughout the City and beyond.
Remote working technology may not be the newest or the most exciting development in modern IT, but it is continually evolving and it remains a key enabler for hedge funds when it comes to recruiting the best talent and empowering them to work in the most productive and collaborative manner. The likes of Citrix and VMware are continually evolving their offerings, and it is incumbent upon hedge funds to assess their remote working security in line with the latest developments.
Modern security threats come in many forms, from the malicious to the innocent and unintended. And with today’s stringent regulations threatening huge penalties for data breaches, now is the time to take remote working security seriously. In this blog post we’ll take you through our top five remote working security tips.
Top Five Remote Working Security Tips
Remote working introduces another dimension of security threat to your firm. Your physical and system security may be robust and well-established at your headquarters, but the same can’t always be said for a busy commuter train, a coffee franchise, or your Finance Director’s home.
The following five remote working security tips will help you to implement security best practices for all users who access your systems, regardless of their location:
- Keep your equipment safe. Your laptop, smartphone and tablet devices are all targets for criminals. If you’re working in a public space, never leave your equipment unattended. And be aware of shoulder surfers, who may be looking at confidential information that is displayed on your screen.
- Create a strong password. You’ll need a strong password to ensure that – if the worst happens and your equipment is stolen – criminals won’t be able to login to your profile. Strong passwords are at least eight characters long, contain uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers and special characters, and are changed on a regular basis.
- Be wary of public Wi-Fi. Unsecured public Wi-Fi services – such as those offered by coffee shops and transport providers – can present a security risk, as data transmitted through public Wi-Fi can be intercepted. Consider using your mobile phone network rather than a public Wi-Fi service.
- Use a secure remote access method. A VPN tunnel from your laptop to your email, file and application servers can create a backdoor for hackers to gain access to your infrastructure. Consider using a secure remote access method like Microsoft RD Web or Citrix XenApp, both of which are inherently more secure than standard VPN tunnels and also offer greater management and functionality.
- Implement antivirus, email security and web security. Your servers and office desktops are protected by endpoint antivirus, email security and web security. What about your laptops and other devices outside the office environment? Whether you’re in the office or working remotely, you should maintain the same high security standards at all times.
Remote Working Security Training
Training your users in remote working security best practices is essential to protecting your business. Security aware users are your first line of defence against data breach or cyber-attack, and today’s hedge funds need to promote a strong security culture throughout their staff.
Six Degrees delivers Security Awareness Training as part of our range of offensive and defensive security services. Our Security Awareness Training service teaches users how to follow best practices and spot cyber-threats before they damage your business. Contact us if you’d like to learn more.
Six Degrees has been shortlisted in the Most Innovative Managed